WMP.dll is one of the system dll file which exist in every Windows base operation system, it is used by Windows Media player as a media processor, without WMP.dll file, Windows Media player will not be able to identify and play any media format, instead you will be given WMP.dll errors during system startup or every time you run the player, typical error messages as below:
- Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.
- The file wmp.dll has a version number of (version number) where (version number) was expected.
What caused the error
WMP.dll error usually is caused by one of the following issue, if you want to fix the error properly you should first figure out what exactly caused error.
- The related dll file has been removed from its original location.
- The dll file is damaged and is unreadable for the system.
- Windows Media Player has update errors
- You computer registry is malfunction
- wmp.dll was overwritten by an older or incompatible version.
No matter what caused the WMP.dll error, it is a sign that your computer is undergoing some problems, you should take immediate action to fix WMP.dll error and related problem as soon as possible to prevent further troubles.
How to fix wmp.dll error
Run the ‘/UpdateWMP’to repair Windows Media Player
By running the “/uptateWMP” command, Windows will conduct a examination to the Windows Media Player and make sure it is updated and the version number correspond to the version that compatible with your system, and this should help you fix wmp.dll error caused by version conflict problems.
- Click Windows Start button
- Click on Run option in the menu.
- After the Run window show up, type in the commend of C:\Windows\inf\Unregmp2.exe/UpdateWMP. (for Windows 7 user, simply type in the commend in the Search field in Start menu)
- Press Enter key.
Replace the missing wmp.dll file
If the file is somehow missing from your system, you can perform the following steps to retrieve a new copy and then replace it in your system and see if the error can be fixed.
- Use google to search for the keywords of ‘download wmp.dll’.
- Pick a reliable website from the search result, find out the download link to download the target dll file.
- After you finish the downloading, open My Computer and navigate to the location of C:\WINDOWS\system32.
- Copy the downloaded dll file, paste it to the system32 folder.
- Open Run window from Start menu.
- Type in cmd and press Enter key.
- In the appeared CMD black screen, type in ‘regsvr32 wmp.dll’ (without quotation marks)
- Press Enter to register the dll file into your system.
- If the error still persist, move on to the next solution.
Repair Windows Registry
If the above solution all failed to fix wmp.dll error, there is no doubt registry problem is the arch criminal behind this. Windows Registry stores data of every hardware & software you installed in the computer, it is kind of like a database, however too much data in the registry is not a good thing, especially when there are many wasted/invalid entries left behind from application removal, which will paralyze the registry and eventually cause you various dll/exe errors and performance problem. To manage this problem, you should apply a trusted registry cleaner and perform a registry scan & clean, which will most likely help you fix the wmp.dll error instantly.