Have you ever encounter wlidcli.dll errors when you are trying to open windows live messenger or simply just starting up the computer? The error message usually tells you that you can’t open the program because the wlidcli.dll is missing, so what exactly is wlidcli.dll and how we gonna fix it in a proper way? Well, here you will find out the answer in this article.
What is Wlidcli.dll
Wlidcli.dll file is a essential system dll file from Windows Live application, this file is used by multiple Windows programs to load up different settings to ensure they can function properly. The original location of Wlidcli.dll is:
C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP, Vista, 7)
C:\WINNT\System32 (Windows NT/2000)
C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me)
What cause the wlidcli.dll error
Though the wlidcli.dll file is essential for the system, it could also cause problems to your computer if the file was deleted or misplaced in some where else other than the original location. Wlidcli.dll error can also caused by the below problems:
- The installation of windows live essentials is corrupted
- Errors in Windows registry
- Computer has been infected by virus
How to fix wlidcli.dll error
Reinstall Windows Live Essentials
Since windows live messenger is part of the Windows Live Essentials, by reinstalling Windows Live Essentials, all the faulty and missing file will be replaced with fresh copy, which will likely help you fixing the wlidcli.dll error, please follow the below steps to proceed:
- Go to Start > Control Panel
- Click Uninstall a program under the category of “Program”
- (if you are using Windows XP system, click Add/Remove program)
- Find out Windows Live Essentials, click on it and select Uninstall.
- Follow the instruction to uninstall it
- Download Windows Live Essentials here at this link
- Click Essentials and, select the language you want, then lick download now.
- Follow the instruction to reinstall it in your computer.
- Restart the computer and see if the error still there.
Run a malware scan
wlidcli.dll error can be brought by malware infection, to ensure the error won’t reappear, we suggest to run a malware/virus scan over your system with a reliable security program, and then remove all the detected threats.
Tip: In order to avoid critical system errors, you should perform the malware scan and remove under Windows Safe Mode. You can follow the steps below to enter Windows Safe Mode:
- Restart your computer.
- Before you see the Windows logo appear, click F8 key on your keyboard
- After you see the advanced boot options show up, use the direction key to select on Safe Mode.
- Hit Enter key to enter the Safe Mode.
Clean up registry
There are times the wlidcli.dll error happens won’t just because the dll file is missing, a messed up Windows registry is also one of the main causes that responsible for the error, you need to delete all the wasted, corrupt, invalid entries that stucked inside the registry over time, and you’ll find the wlidcli.dll error is fixed naturally. Here is three simple steps you need to perform.
- Download and install the registry cleaner here.
- Open it and click “Scan” button to diagnose the computer.
- Wait for the scan finish, click “Fix All” button to fix all the found problems.