Error Code 8024200D usually happen when computer users are trying to update the Windows by installing the service pack in a Vista computer, once you receive the error message similar to “Update for Windows Vista failed, Error Found: Code 8024200D”, and update process will be terminated immediately. If you are those unlucky folks who is experiencing Error Code 8024200D, I believe the below information and solutions should help you out.
Error code 8024200D causes
- The update was interfered by other running program/application in your computer.
- The service pack you downloaded is incomplete.
- Your computer has been infected by malware/virus.
- There are corruptions in your computer registry.
How can I fix/stop error code 8024200D
1. What you need to do first is restarting your computer once, the error code may happen due to the interference brought by other program on your computer, so after you done restarting the computer, make sure all the other unnecessary programs (like antivirus, firewall, browser, etc) are close, and then try the update again. If the error still exist, move on to the next solution.
2. Run a virus scan. A computer with internet connection can easily got infected by virus threat, it is recommended to run a full virus scan with the anti-virus program in your computer and see if there is any infection going on. If you haven’t install any security program, go download and purchase one from the internet at once(there are also many free antivirus available like AVG, avast, which is also able to deal with most of the popular online threats), as you should know that surfing the internet without protection is very dangerous, virus infection not only bring you errors like code 8024200D but many other terrible issues, some of them are even unrecoverable unless you reinstall the whole system.
3. Rename the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folder. The error code 8024200D may have something to do with the name of the Software Distribution and Catroot2 folder, you can rename them by following the below steps:
- Save all your work and close all the program, restart your computer.
- Before you see the Windows logo, press F8 key to enter the advanced boot option.
- Select Safe Mode and press Enter.
- Once you successfully enter the safe mode, open My Computer,
- Locate the folder of SoftwareDistribution in the c:\windows directory.
- Rename it as ‘SoftwareDistributionOLD’
- Locate the Catroot2 folder in the same directory and rename it as ‘Catroot2OLD’.
- Now restart your computer and enter the Normal Mode.
- Try installing the update again and see if the error still pops-up.
4. Clean & repair Windows registry. Windows registry is the core of Windows which contains data of all the hardware and software in your computer. For my experience, 8024200D problem and other types of error code can be caused by registry problems sometimes, if you also experience issues like system halts, freeze from time to time, or system performance decrease markedly than before, there is a 90% chance your computer registry is corrupted. To cease registry corruption and fix the error code 8024200D, the best solution is to apply a reliable registry cleaner programs, all you need is to perform the below three steps:
- Download and Install the fix tool in your computer.
- Launch the tool and click Scan button
- Click ‘Fix All‘ button to fix Error Code 8024200D and all the problem it scanned out.