Dbghelp.dll is a Dynamic-link library file that comes with Visual C++ Runtime Library, programs that written by Visual C++ need the Dbghelp.dll file to function properly, Dbghelp.dll is mainly responsible for sending the computer instruction information on how to process specific function when using Visual C++.
If the Dbghelp.dll file fail to work or absent from its original location, it is likely that you will encounter Dbghelp.dll errors when trying to access any Visual C++ related programs.
How does the error happen
Dbghelp.dll is not protected by the file protection system of Windows, so it can be deleted or damaged by means like virus or simply some mistaken operation done by computer users, these could all lead to Dbghelp.dll errors. Other possible causes including:
- Windows registry is clogged up and can not function properly
- The Visual C++ program that you are trying to open is corrupted.
- Related Windows setting has been changed.
- Outdated system driver.
How to fix Dbghelp.dll error?
First thing you should do is to see whether the Dbghelp.dll file is in your system, the Windows Search function could help you with that task. Normally the file should locates in the directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32, if you found the file is absent from the your computer, try the below solution to get it back.
1. Check the Windows recycle bin, if you found the file, right click on it and select “Restore”
2. Download and replace Dbghelp.dll file
- Search “Dbghelp.dll download” by using search engines like google.com
- Select a reliable website that offers valid dll download recourse.
- Download Dbghelp.dll file onto your system
- Place the file to the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder
- Restart the computer.
3. Reinstall Visual C++ Runtime Library
Reinstalling the Visual C++ Runtime Library could regain a fresh copy of the Dbghelp.dll file, and all the faulty settings will be revised. To do the reinstallation please follow the below steps:
- Go to Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program
- Select Visual C++ Runtime Library in the computer list and then click “Uninstall”
- Follow the instruction to uninstall the program.
- Insert the disk of Visual C++ Runtime Library to reinstall it in your system.
Repair registry errors
There are cases that Dbghelp.dll file is not deleted, but errors still occur, this may because your computer registry is undergoing corruption problems. Registry is the key component of the Windows, it stores and controls all the data of your computer, if you don’t clean up the registry regularly, it could be clogged up by wasted and obsolete entries over time and cause you problem like Dbghelp.dll errors. To remove the error, you need to remove all the wasted registry entries with a reliable registry cleaner, this can be done within three simple steps as below:
- Download and install the registry cleaner here.
- Open it and click “Scan” button to diagnose the computer.
- Wait for the scan finish, click “Fix All” button to fix all the found problems.