Smss.exe, also called “Session Manager Subsystem”, is an executable process of Client Server Runtime Process from Microsoft corporation, and takes responsible for creating environment variables, handling various sessions on your Windows system, creating paging files, and establishing DOS device mappings. Considering these features and functions should be kept on the computer, this file most not be corrupted or removed on your computer.
What’s smss.exe error issue?
When the smss.exe on your computer cannot be detected and read by the Windows system and other associated application, and an error notification pops up to mention you that this file is corrupted or cannot be found on the computer, you will have to make clear about the smss.exe error issue and resolution to get it fixed. And why does the file cannot be found or get corrupted on your computer? It maybe due to the following reasons:
- Associated registry corruption or missing issues
- Malicious virus or malware infection
- Missing or corrupted smss.exe files issue
- Suffer a considerable accumulation
- Corrupted or outdated drivers in your system
Possible results of encountering smss.exe error:
- The Client Server Runtime process fails to perform on the computer
- Many applications and processes cannot operate as usual
- Associated error notifications pop up on the screen constantly
- Computer system get a very slow running speed, and often result in freeze up or crash
- Blue Screen of Death error problem occurs very often
How can fix smss.exe error for good?
First step: update Windows system and drivers
- Click on “Start” > “All Programs” > “Windows Update”
- Go to check whether there are the newer update of your Windows system and drivers
- Choose and install all of available updates of your Windows system and drivers
- You can also make use a third party update tool to help you upgrade your Windows system
Making sure the Windows system and drivers in a real-time update is very important for that stable and effective operation of many applications as well as the Windows system. To protect the smss.exe file and fix smss.exe error in this issue, you should go go update your Windows instantly.
Second step: clean infected viruses to fix smss.exe error
Protecting your computer from malicious viruses and malware is also an important step to protect the smss.exe file to be damaged or invaded, for that the virus or malware would modify or remove it on your computer. And by default, the executable file is stored in C:\Windows\system32\smss.exe folder, if you find it at somewhere else, you should go to check about whether it is a virus infection. Therefore, to fix smss.exe error, you should perform a check for your computer system with a powerful antivirus program, and remove all of suspicious and malicious files and programs from your computer.
Third step: fix registry error issues
After performing the above two steps and the error issue is still on your computer, the last step will be check and fix the associated registry issues on your Windows system with a professional registry cleaner, which is an application that can check and fix many kinds of registry issues on the computer system within a few minutes, and can help you to optimize your system structure and performance significantly. So it is highly suggested to equip your computer with a good registry cleaner, and use it to clean and find out and fix those invalid uninstall entries, corrupted registry keys and entries on your computer to fix smss.exe error. The fixing steps will be much easier and faster than any manual fixing way.