Common.dll is a one of the system dll file that stored in the \WINDOWS\system32 folder of system drive, this dll file is commonly used by the Windows to execute certain system functions, however, common.dll can easily caused errors when the related registry file is corrupted or the dll file is absent. Due to different causes, common.dll error can be display as different forms like:
- Common.dll Not Found.
- Cannot find [LOCATION]\common.dll.
- [APPLICATION NAME] failed to start because common.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
Common.dll error symptoms
Common.dll error commonly shows up in when you enter into Windows system, or when you try to open certain application, the error crop up and terminate your action. If you ignore the error and don’t fix the it promptly, more unexpected problems would appear subsequently.
How to fix common.dll error
Usually getting the common.dll error indicates that the common.dll is absent or in the wrong place. You can try the below solutions to restore it.
Download and replace the missing dll file
- Visit google.com with your web browser
- Type in the term of common.dll download in the search area and click search button.
- Pick a reliable website from the search result to download the target dll file.
- Open My Computer and navigate to the X:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (X:\ represent the system drive letter of your computer)
- Place the downloaded dll file to the above folder
- Go to Start – Run, type “cmd” in the box that appears
- In the pop-up black screen, type in “regsvr32 Common.dll” and press Enter.
- Now reboot the system to if the error still there.
Alternative solution (recommended)
Download common.dll file and register it into your system automatically to fix common.dll error. This solution is way better than the first manual solution cause it is not only quicker but also safer and much more convenient. All you need is to perform these three steps:
- Download DLLSmith here and install it in your PC.
- Launch the fix tool and the program will automatically search common.dll from authorised recourse.
- Click Download and Fix Now button to download the dll file on to your PC, the program will automatically install the dll file onto your system and the common.dll error will be fix by then.
Repair damaged registry
You may probably wondering what’s the connection between the Windows registry and common.dll error, the fact is, registry contains the code that needed to run the common.dll file, if registry got damaged or corrupted, for example, there are too many wasted and invalid entries stucked in the registry, the executable code will not be accessed by the system smoothly, the common.dll can not be call, and eventually end up common.dll error. Considering the fact that registry problem is one of the main causes of common.dll error, clean up and repair the registry can most like help you fix the error.
- Download and install the registry cleaner here.
- Open it and click “Scan” button to diagnose the computer.
- Wait for the scan finish, click “Fix All” button to fix all the found problems.
What is the problem persist or reappear
If you went through the above solution and found that the problem persist or reappear on your computer, there is a 90% chance of your computer have been infected by malware/virus, you need to take immediate action to scan and clean the threat that exist in your computer, then retry the above solutions to fix common.dll error properly.